Students Engineering Model Competition
Pathway for Self Reliant Bharat
Science is all around us. How water evaporates, the way cars can move at 100 km/hr – all of it can be explained by science. Through centuries of discovery, people have continued to unravel the nature of the world through science. However, the beauty of science lies not only in what we have discovered but in what is yet to be found! Humanity is far from reaching the ends of the universe, and there are still many mysteries left to solve on Earth alone. There is a common misconception that only adults are scientists, that young people can’t make contributions to the expanding world of science. But it shouldn’t be like this! Everyone can be a scientist. There are no limitations on who can discover something miraculous about the world around us. And that’s where science fairs come in. Science fairs are some of the best opportunities for students to pursue an interest in science and make discoveries and share them with their peers as well as renowned scientists, professors and professionals. The India International Science Festival (IISF) unites the top young scientific minds, showcasing their talents on an international stage, where doctoral-level scientists review and judge their work.
2) Defining Objectives
We all are very familiar with projects/models competition and exhibitions. Schools, colleges, universities and some organizations keep on organizing such events. Most of the times same type of projects are presented in these competitions. Solar electricity generation, cars, safety alarms etc. are the common topics of these competitions.
But engineering projects/models competition and exhibitions are not about repeating common familiar projects. Projects competitions are not to see who can make bigger or beautiful project that are already presented in many exhibitions, but to encourage students to answer unsolved questions, to resolve day to day problems in scientific ways.
Competition projects aren’t just research projects. They are much more than that. In fact, research is just one of the preliminary stages of developing a project. There’s nothing wrong with starting off doing research projects at student level. In fact, it’s probably good preparation for developing projects at the higher levels. But what if a student has an interest in science and this interest isn’t nurtured? That’s the beauty of projects competitions. For many students, participating in science fairs has changed their lives and ignited in them a passion for science.
3) Salient Features
This year Students will be prompted to adopt Pasteur's 2nd quadrant approach that is USER INSPIRED BASIC RESEARCH, confluence of NEW Knowledge and Application.
The focus of SEMC will be to provide a launch pad for new initiatives and expanding existing programs to foster innovation, to bridge the gap between basic and applied science, and to look for opportunities to move discoveries from the laboratory to the marketplace.
IISF Project Competition: Student Engineering Model Competition (SEMC)
- Entries to SEMC will be invited online through web portal.
- There would be 3 categories, namely, Engineering Students, Non engineering students and International students
- Students who are pursuing (Still to be appeared for final exams) their Polytechnique/ B Tech /M Tech course/ITI course or equivalent course can register in Engineering Category .Non engineering category includes basic science students. International students can be from any stream.
- Interested students should send the details of their READY to DISPLAYmodels /project onlinealong with images and demo video link
- Not more than 04 people are allowed in one group/ team per entry.
- No registration / participation fees will be charged
- Entries of Models will be pre- screened online by Juries/judges.
- After pre screening in zone wise Competition , top 100 selected entries will be invited for exhibition in the India International Science Festival.
- Selected Students will ONLINE present their innovative and creative projects/models during VIRTUAL EXPO of IISF. A committee of National Juries will again evaluate models.
- Digital Bharat: Education Technologies, Information Technology, loT enabled systems and cyber security, AI
- Atma Nirbhar Bharat: Design and Manufacturing Technologies
- Swachha Bharat: Environment, Pollution, Energy harvesting and waste management, Jal Shakti
- Swastha Bharat: Public Health, Integrated health. including innovative diagnostic aids, Food
- AgriTech: Innovative agriculture practices& rural technologies
Synopsis, images and videos of model is to be submitted online . Last dates will be intimated in due course.
4) Expected Outcome
National missions including Digital India, Swatch Bharath, Make in India etc changing the face of our nation and trying to build a new India.
Engineering models/Projects with focus on these national missions can stimulate the progress of the missions and will create a pool of human resource for the nation building.
5) Targeted participants
Following will be the participant categories of Students:-
- Indian Engineering Students Teams
- B Tech or equivalent
- M. Tech.or equivalent
- Polytechnic or equivalent
- ITI Students
- Indian non-engineering Students Teams- College level students studying subjects other than Engineering viz Medical, Agriculture, basic science, Ayush etc
- International Teams- Students from any stream
6) Method of selection of participants (online/nomination) and procedure
- Models will be invited online through portal from all over India. For these State units of ViBha conducted massive publicity and outreach programs.
- Emails / letters will be sent to all engineering colleges by AICTE also
- Models which are received online will be forwarded online to a team of juries which will evaluate the projects online based on pre-decided criteria.
- An Online module /portal will be used for registration of models. With provision of submitting images of themselves, project and video link( public shareable drive viz google drive/ youtube/ dropbox etc)
- A module for online evaluation as per the decided parameters, enabling juries to evaluate project directly by log on to portal and submit marks online conveniently is already developed last year
Criteria of selection
Criteria of selection of a modelwere in accordance with parameters set by IISF coordination committee.